I have discovered the gb4e and cgloss4e packages. The two of these together are much better than covington, and eliminate the need for fiddling with the numbering because it’s done for you automagically.
- Blank lines
- Brackets, braces and parentheses
- Chemical structures
- Counters in lists etc.
- Defining commands
- Example numbering
- Font size in maths mode (math mode)
- Help, troubleshooting and FAQ
- Indices and glossaries
- Local texmf directory on Mac (Snow Leopard)
- Packages: hyperref texorpdfstring
- Posters (for conferences)
- Strikeout and other line effects
- Venn diagrams, Euler diagrams
- Site policy