- Chicken stock, either shop-bought or home-made
- Potatoes, peeled and diced
- Leeks, sliced
- Chicken, peeled and boned
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan.
- Add the potatoes.
- Warm a knob of butter in another saucepan.
- Add the leeks to the butter. Stir the butter through, then cover and keep on a low heat until soft.
- When the potatoes are soft, break them up to release as much starch as possible.
- Slice the chicken into strips and place them carefully in the stock. Stir through.
- Stir the softened leeks to break them up a little and stir in to the stock.
- Season to taste.
- The soup is thickened by the potato starch. You’ll probably need more than you think.
- A potato masher can be used to break up the potato.
- Garnish with a dollop of cream and a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.